Sunday, July 26, 2009

The First Book Review: Confessions of an Economic Hitman

Where the fuck is the book review format

Title
Confessions of an Economic Hitman

Author
John Perkins

Date of Publication
2004

Reason for reading
I thought I remembered him on the daily show but when I went to their site I couldn't find him. I still don't know how I heard of this book.

Synopsis
The book is the story of its author who worked as an economic consultant for international consulting firms. Specifically, he would work in less developed countries to convince their officials in adopting huge loans (from the IMF oftentimes) for big infrastructure projects which these countries couldn't really afford. After these countries would fail on their loans, as a special sort of repayment of debt, companies like Haliburton, Bechtel, Brown and Root would come in and "lay waste" to the country.

Review
If it's true, 5/5 stars for bravery (although the writing was average). If it's a lie, 0/5 stars for greed.

Quotes
I forgot to write these down so I'll just take one from wikipedia:

I was initially recruited while I was in business school back in the late sixties by the National Security Agency, the nation’s largest and least understood spy organization; but ultimately I worked for private corporations. The first real economic hit man was back in the early 1950’s, Kermit Roosevelt, the grandson of Teddy, who overthrew the government of Iran, a democratically elected government, Mossadegh’s government who was Time‘s magazine person of the year; and he was so successful at doing this without any bloodshed—well, there was a little bloodshed, but no military intervention, just spending millions of dollars and replaced Mossadegh with the Shah of Iran. At that point, we understood that this idea of economic hit man was an extremely good one. We didn’t have to worry about the threat of war with Russia when we did it this way. The problem with that was that Roosevelt was a C.I.A. agent. He was a government employee. Had he been caught, we would have been in a lot of trouble. It would have been very embarrassing. So, at that point, the decision was made to use organizations like the C.I.A. and the N.S.A. to recruit potential economic hit men like me and then send us to work for private consulting companies, engineering firms, construction companies, so that if we were caught, there would be no connection with the government.



3 comments:

  1. Niall Ferguson touched on that topic in the last chapter on international finance, specifically mentioning Confessions of an Economic Hitman. I don't remember exactly what he said though (I know Brent, this gives credence to your purchase/steal rather than borrow argument), but it seemed like he kind of disregarded the claims Perkins made, by looking at a couple of examples and pointing out how Perkins' claims didn't really stand up. But I could be wrong on that.

    Also, what is the format for labels on the book reviews? Perhaps Book Review, the topics involved, and the author (so Book Review, International Finance, Government, and John Perkins would be possible tags for this book)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to not just make up labels as we go. We probably need to decide on 10-15 and all three of us be on the same page, otherwise each post will have a different label.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I was suggesting. So for book reviews, I propose what I already said:

    1 - Book review
    2 - Author
    3 - Topic(s) - this should be kept to 2-3 topics

    ReplyDelete