Sunday, October 4, 2009

Is Sanjay Gupta a fraud?

So this guy was at the marathon this morning promoting his new book Cheating Death. I of course have not read this book, but the premise as supposed by a reading of the title makes it seem like this man is setting up a straw man in matters of inevitability. I'll take a look at it the next time I'm at Border's and give a more thorough review.

In the meantime, I found this:

http://crooksandliars.com/2007/07/11/michael-moore-vs-sanja-gupta/

It seems Sanjay Gupta, Larry King, and Wolf Blitzer were all involved in a bit of a soiree after Sicko came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpKoN40K7mA

My gut feeling (for what that's worth) tells me that Gupta is a bit of a drone and I'm not sure how he's qualified to be a journalist (neurosurgeons aren't as smart as you think, I speak from experience, it's really more about effort and capability to deal with attrition). But let's examine this idea more closely; if I remember correctly this man was in line at one point to be our next surgeon general (a job that pays ~200k/year less than neurosurgeon and probably .5-1.0 million less than CNN analyst). He declined I believe.

2 comments: