Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fish, how do we know what is good?


They all are, they're delicious and that's how we know to eat them. I'm joking of course.

Rosh and I go to dinner on Thursdays and I was looking for a website which offers an assessment of fish species cross-referenced for how and where caught. I'm going to order the Halibut tonight and ask the waiter where it was caught. If he answers the question, I will remain a customer of this restaurant, if he does not, I will not.

NOTE: This article is influenced by Food Inc., a film which was influenced by Michael Pollan who was influenced by Upton Sinclair who also wrote Oil, a book which was made into a movie starring Daniel Day-Lewis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upton_Sinclair

1) Monterray Bay Aquarium Website
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_alternatives.aspx

3 comments:

  1. Wouldn't Upton Sinclair's book The Jungle be a more relevant point for this guy's influences than Oil! ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was assuming the audience already knows The Jungle, but they probably didn't know about Oil, even if they saw There Will be Blood. This is why I wrote "also wrote", where The Jungle is understood already. I'm going backward and then tangentially forward with the Oil reference.

    He wrote dozens of books. I'm trying to let people know he wrote Oil as well. People who read The Jungle in high school might not realize Upton Sinclair made contributions outside of the Food Industry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacques-Yves Cousteau realized the importance of studying fish along time ago. Especially whales which are the mammals of sea. He believed they would experience the consequences of human polution before humans did. His son has taken up his research and shown just that. I watched a BBC documentary on PBS where they biopsied whales and found traces of many pharmeceutical drugs. This is especially troubling considering the whales were in the ocean, not farmed, like many fish we consume

    ReplyDelete