Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pollution and City Dwelling

New study compares 'walkability' in Vancouver neighborhoods with local levels of air pollution
A study done for Vancouver Metro (in anticipation of the 2010 Olympics) examined urban life and pollution and health sequelae resulting therefrom (1).

""There is urban planning now that focuses on walkability and exercise-friendliness," Marshall says. But while that idea is on planners' minds, "the connection to air pollution isn't as much." (2)

This forces me to question what my own community's pollution index is. I have a friend who works for St. Paul City Planning; I'll ask him next time I see him.

1. "Healthy Neighborhoods: Walkability and Pollution" Environment and Health Perspectives Journal. Volume 117, Number 11, November 2009. Accessed November 11, 2009.

2. Walking and Clean Air. UMN news. http://www1.umn.edu/news/features/2009/UR_CONTENT_146640.html. Accessed November 11, 2009.

2 comments:

  1. If you find a database anywhere that has this data for major US cities let me know, I'd love to see how poorly Columbus measures up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this:

    http://northsaintpaulresident.blogspot.com/2009/08/wood-smoke-tabulation-by-month.html

    It's a laugh. It's likely only useful for me.

    ReplyDelete